Thomaston Historical Society receives bicentennial grant – Knox County VillageSoup
THOMASTON – The Thomaston Historical Society has announced its selection by the Maine Bicentennial Commission to receive grant funds to celebrate 200 years of shipbuilding in the city.
Susan Devlin of the Thomaston Historical Society said she was very proud of the society’s accomplishments for this grant, including the efforts of local historian Peggy McCrea.
Grant funds were used for three items: a large plaque commemorating the history of Thomaston shipbuilding; a 16-page color booklet on Thomaston shipyards and shipbuilders; 10 large color posters featuring shipyard owners and builders.
The plaque measures 63 inches by 48 inches and was placed at the Thomaston Public Landing Overlook. It shows an 1855 map of the city and lists the location of 12 major shipyards and their owners.
Lowe’s Home Improvement of Thomaston provided the framing and Thomaston’s Public Works Department installed the plaque. It was inaugurated in August during a small inauguration ceremony with city officials.
The booklet, “The City That Sailed: Major Thomaston Shipyards and Shipbuilders,” features photos from the Thomaston Historical Society, information on 10 Thomaston shipyards, and examples of ships built in the city.
This free booklet is available at the plaque, the municipal office, and the Thomaston Historical Society, located at 80 Knox St.
The 10 framed posters show different local shipyard owners and builders and their contributions to the shipbuilding industry.
These posters begin with Captain Edward Robinson, an American representative born in Cushing in 1796. Robinson was a prominent resident and shipbuilder until his death in 1857.
The most recent posters include Cabot and Drew Lyman, who still build ships at Lyman Morse.
These posters are currently on display in the main lobby of the Thomaston Municipal Building on Valley Street. This is the first exhibit to be placed in the Thomaston Historical Society’s new satellite gallery in the municipal building, which was erected through donations from Brooks Trap Mill and Lowe’s of Thomaston.
Posters are available for travel to other sites as an exhibit. Interested parties can contact the Thomaston Historical Society at 354-2295.
Rockland Fire, EMS Reminds Everyone To “Learn The Sounds Of Fire Safety”