Banbury United threatens to ban fans after crowd trouble

A FOOTBALL club board has said it will ban fans involved in anti-social behavior following unruly scenes at a match yesterday (Saturday August 27).

Banbury United won 3-1 at home to Hereford, to continue their unbeaten start to the season in the Vanarama National League North.

However, the match was marred by incidents which saw one person injured and another arrested.

Puritan’s board issued a statement condemning fans after bottles and a traffic cone were allegedly thrown.

REREAD: Cops make arrest at football game after ‘mess’

The statement read: ‘We worked closely with Thames Valley Police ahead of yesterday’s game against Hereford and had a full team of stewards on duty. In consultation with the force, the match was separated.

“We will of course review and update our procedures for such games in light of yesterday’s incidents.

“We have had a fantastic start to the season on the pitch with great support. However, the behavior of a very small minority of supporters yesterday was unacceptable.

“During the game, two smoke bombs went off in the Town End occupied by Banbury supporters. As our messages point out, this is criminal behaviour. The club will suffer the consequences.

“We will not hesitate to issue restraining orders for supporters involved in anti-social behaviour. As members of Cherwell Pubwatch Banbury, any ban will include other member premises in the town.

“We will review the day with the police to see what further steps we need to take.

“We are a community club, we want to be able to welcome everyone on our ground. We know the fans are passionate, but there’s a clear line between acceptable behavior and the incidents above that weren’t.

“We’re sure the fans will support the team in a positive way tomorrow at Leamington and we want the day to be about what’s happening on the pitch, not off it.”

READ MORE: Anti-LTN protesters launch legal campaign to overturn decision

Thames Valley Police issued a statement yesterday that the force were dealing with the mess ‘before, during and after’ the game against Hereford.

The statement read: “It was reported that items including bottles and a traffic cone were thrown. One person was injured.

“In order to avoid further disorder, the force has decided to keep some Banbury supporters on the ground for approximately 10 minutes after the game to allow Hereford supporters to leave the area.

“One person was arrested for breaching public order.”

Police are asking anyone with relevant footage to contact the force via their website or call 101, quoting the reference number 943 (27/8).

Andy Whing’s Banbury side have won four out of five games so far this season in the National League North, following historic promotion last campaign.

The club is playing at the highest level in its history this season.

This story was written by Liam Rice, he joined the team in 2019 as a multimedia reporter.

Liam covers politics, travel and transport. He occasionally covers Oxford United.

Contact him by email: [email protected]

Follow him on Twitter @OxMailLiamRice

Comments are closed.